By: Helen Castle
We are pleased to be able to share with you the consultant's report following the consultation sessions in December. You can read the full report, including our response, here.
In summary, our Board is committed to the following next steps:
• We will be announcing details about how to join a new Task Force shortly, to help us with Recommendation 2 in the consultant’s report (feasibility study and review of long-term options), as well as help us to investigate short-term measures for facilitating community events and activities which either make use of existing community venues not managed by the Trust, or, if necessary and possible, areas of The Pier site and building.
• We will be launching our new Community Kickstart Grant shortly, please look out for further announcements in due course.
• We are making progress on rectifying the oil leak with the insurer and contractor.
• We are progressing a new mains water connection at the site.
• We are committed to keeping the community up to date with progress on this project, as well as providing further opportunities for members of the community to share their ideas and views.
We look forward to continuing to work with the community on the long-term plans for the project. In the meantime, we have identified some short-term solutions which can be implemented and adapted relatively quickly. This does not mean that other ideas cannot be considered and put in place as part of the short-term measures; new suggestions will always be welcome. We also recognise that short-term solutions cannot solve all of the problems identified during the consultation exercise, but we will do our best with our limited resources and the short timescale.
In Other News..
Please click here to read the approved REW DT board meeting minutes from the meeting held on 16 August 2023
Community Car Driver
We are looking for a reliable driver(s) to join our friendly driving team.
The successful candidate will need to hold a valid UK driving licence.
The role involves driving our community Electric Car on ‘dial-a-ride’ runs every Monday & Wednesday, and trips to Mainland the first and third Thursday of each month. Trips on island are generally to the shop, post office and surgery. Trips to Mainland are generally to Kirkwall. Drivers will be expected to provide any necessary assistance for passengers before, during, or after travel, consistent with their transport needs.
There is a possibility of extra hours on an ad-hoc basis. Drivers will be required to perform basic vehicle checks and keep the car clean & tidy.
Full training will be given.
We welcome applications from people who can only do certain days of the week.
Job Type: Part-time until March 2024.
Part-time hours: 10-15 per week. Mon & Wed typically 9.30-15.30. Mainland trips catch 10.05 and return on 14.45.
Salary: £10.90 per hour when driving, but there is a daily allowance for being available (£18/day for 6 hours). There is an uplift of 12.07% pay enhancement in lieu of holiday.
Interested? Email us at email@example.com or call on 01856 821229, we are looking forward to hearing from you!