REW Heritage SCIO
About the REW Heritage SCIO
Originally there was the Rousay Heritage Trust, which became a charity in 2001 with its main objectives being the advancement of the education of the public in the history, culture, natural history and any other features of life in the island of Rousay, Orkney and the preservation for the public benefit of the historical, cultural and natural heritage of the island.
From June 2017 The Rousay Heritage Trust was incorporate the Wyre Heritage Society and to take over responsibility for looking after the Wyre Heritage Centre and its archive of heritage material.
Contact between Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre and the North Isles Landscape Partnership Scheme [NILPS] regarding proposed initiatives across our three islands is also being co-ordinated by the REW Heritage SCIO.
Because of the above developments, the Rousay Heritage Trust became the Rousay, Egilsay and Wyre Heritage SCIO or, locally, simply the REW Heritage.
The proposed initiatives, for which discussions are on-going include:
- Improving the signage and way-marking of “Heritage Trail” sites and footpaths on all three islands;
- Making the Wyre Heritage Centre fully weather-tight, including re-roofing, to ensure that it remains structurally sound for the foreseeable future;
- Significantly updating and enhancing the Heritage Centre Waiting Room on Rousay
- [Voluntary labour on the part a number of Heritage Society trustees has already smartened up the inside of the building somewhat to make it more friendly and attractive for visitors and local people alike.]
- Providing safe car parking, plus a picnic table and an information board, at the viewpoint and sculpture site, at highest point of the public road between the Leann and the Sourin Brae.
- Employing a part-time research assistant to work with local residents to develop and enhance the heritage archive of written, spoken and visual material.
- Securing an indoor area in which to house domestic and agricultural heritage artefacts.
These initiatives commenced 2018/19.
Bryan Milner (Chair, REW Heritage SCIO)
If further information is needed please contact the REW Heritage via email@example.com If you would like to become a member of the REW Heritage SCIO please complete this form and return to the REW DT Office.
For the latest accounts please click here
For our Constitution please click here
Our next AGM will be held in September 2019. More information to come nearer the time. Please come along to find put all about the new projects and the Heritage SCIO, all welcome.
In 2017 we received Heritage Lottery funding Stories, Stones and Bones grant and additional funding form the OIC Archaeology Fund and the REW DT. for a Summer of History programme, The final part of the grant award was the production of a booklet telling a brief history of our three islands. This is called Rousay, Egilsay & Wyre Stepping Back in Time and can be downloaded here.
The Improvements to the Wyre Heritage Centre.
This project is to make improvements to the centre to create a Community & Heritage Centre for the local community and visitors to Wyre to use. Funding for this project has been received from Leader, with match funding from the Orkney Islands Council Community Development Fund and the REW DT.
More information to follow soon.